Today I’m linking up for the Friday Five with Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney, and the topic is 5 Things About Me! Since I’m a relatively new blogger, this will give me a chance to introduce you guys to some aspects of my life and personality outside of running and fitness!
1. I love junk food. Any and all, but especially candy and chips. Right now instead of tracking calories, I am recording any junk food I eat in something I have dubbed my “Junk Journal.” Right now I am aiming for only two items in the Junk Journal each day. Today was a Diet Dr Pepper and a Rice Krispy Treat, which sadly I consider a pretty good day. *sigh* I have such a long way to go in my nutrition.
2. I’m super short. I’m about 5 feet even, which of course is shorter than pretty much everyone, my students included. The funny part is that I am not at all tortured by it and completely forget all the time that I am small. It is not part of my personality, and not part of my self-image. When I see other really short people, I sometimes can’t believe how small they are, and then when they walk by they’re several inches taller than I am! I have perfected the art of hopping up on countertops to grab things out of the cupboards, a habit my husband cannot stand, and I thank my lucky stars for my short height whenever I curl up in an airplane seat and comfortably fall asleep.
3. I hate being cold. This is not even remotely interesting until you consider that I live in Alaska. And I love it here. People ask me all the time how I survive up here considering I am such a baby about temperatures, and I honestly don’t know. Warm coats and auto-start on my car heater? We go to San Diego about once a year and I am usually the coldest one in the group, stealing someone’s sweatshirt and asking to go inside.
4. I am really talented at sleeping. I have a special technique I use for falling asleep when it’s noisy, and I am particularly gifted at falling back to sleep when woken up in the morning, even if I have already slept for 8 or 9 hours. I can nap anywhere, any time. Sleep is one of my top priorities in my life. Seriously.
5. In social situations, I am extremely shy, and also extremely obnoxious. I love having friends, but HATE meeting new people. I am paralyzed with a completely blank brain when it comes to making small talk with people I don’t know. I do not know what to say to people! On the flip side, when I’m in a social situation where I know people there, I tend to get obnoxiously loud and tell stories all night long. Basically I have no social skills. But luckily my friends apparently don’t mind. 🙂 Because I’ve got some great ones.
So basically I’m a very short person who eats lots of junk food, whines about being cold, sleeps all the time, and will either ignore you or dominate the conversation. If you weren’t itching to be my friend in real life before, I’m sure I just motivated you with that Friday Five list! 😉